Lanka Mineral Sands Limited which is a company fully owned by the Government of Sri Lanka is the successor to Ceylon Mineral Sands Corporation which was established in 1957 under the Industrial Corporation Act.
The functions of the company are to do mining, processing and exporting of heavy mineral beach sands. In 1992 this corporation was converted as Lanka Mineral Sands Limited as a fully government owned company. This company is controlled by the Ministry of State Resources and Enterprise Development. The company Head office located at Colombo and processing plant is located in Pulmoddai in the eastern coast of Sri Lanka. About six hundred employees work in this company. There are seven departments in the head office. Many welfare facilities given to the employees by the company.